Exactly one year ago, I wrote the original list of 50 things. I’d forgotten about it until I was on Maura’s blog and discovered her list of ridiculously great things. Since it was a year to the day, I took that as a sign to come up with 50 more things.
Here they are, in no particular order:
1. My Keurig coffeemaker.
2. Watching my fingers prune up in the Blue Lagoon, Iceland.
3. Eating dim sum in Chinatown.
4. Any episode of The Honeymooners.
5. My grandparent’s wedding photo.
7. The first tulips of spring.
8. The hills are alive with the sound of music.
9. Saguaro cacti.
10. A hot shower.
11. The olive bar at the specialty food store.
12. “The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
14. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. The perfect lunch.
15. Giving Reggie a belly rub.
16. Audrey Hepburn singing Moon River in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
17. Watching the guys on This Old House fix stuff.
18. A cozy, fluffy robe.
20. The farmers’ market at Grand Army Plaza.
21. Phone calls from good friends.
22. Leaving the salon with an awesome haircut.
24. Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do, it bears your signature.
— Thich Nhat Hanh
25. A Jack and Coke. (More Jack than Coke, please.)
26. “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
27. The sound of rain falling softly on the windows.
28. Sponge candy from Antoinette’s in Buffalo, NY.
29. Playing black jack in Vegas.
30. The feeling of airplane wheels touching down.
31. The little stray cat who comes by to say hello to Reggie and me.
32. Big, wet doggie kisses from Julep. (Available for adoption!)
33. Indiana Jones.
Sitting over words
very late I have heard a kind of whispered sighing
like a night wind in pines or like the sea in the dark
the echo of everything that has ever
still spinning its one syllable
between the earth and silence
– W.S. Merwin
35. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Actually “IZ” singing almost anything.
36. The 1979 Coke commercial featuring “Mean” Joe Green. Gets me right here every time.
37. Surely joy is the condition of life.
— Henry David Thoreau
39. Watching geese cross the sky in V formation.
40. Diving into a bucket of popcorn bigger than my head at the movie theater.
41. A massage at Opal Therapies.
42. The smell of pumpkin pie baking in the oven.
43. Flannel sheets.
45. Watching deer jump through my mom’s yard.
46. Imagining my novel on bookstore shelves one day.
47. Walking shelter dogs.
48. Moon pies.
49. Crossing Brooklyn Ferry
Fifty years hence, others will see them as they cross, the sun half an hour high;
A hundred years hence, or ever so many hundred years hence, others will see them,
Will enjoy the sunset, the pouring in of the flood-tide, the falling back to the sea of the ebb-tide.
– Walt Whitman
Come on, send some more things that make you smile!