1. Here is the dessert that kicked off my strawberry post. It’s the perfect summer, no cook treat. The last thing I want to do when it’s hot and humid is turn on the oven to bake a cake. This is a parfait with layers of fresh strawberry puree, crushed amaretti cookies, a mixture of ricotta and mascarpone (an Italian-style cream cheese). I sprinkle a few almonds on top for a fancy touch. I highly recommend telling your guests that dessert was ruined by a kitchen catastrophe and then eating it all yourself.
2. A moratorium. I was doing a little (late) spring cleaning with the last stop being the medicine cabinet. I spent some time tossing expired medicine, wondering what made me buy something called “hair paste” and taking inventory of products that are running low. I discovered I have 15 lipsticks / lip glosses. Fifteen! Why on earth would I have ever bought that many lipsticks? I don’t even wear lipstick every day. I am hereby not allowed to purchase any more until I use these. And I was just making fun of my stepdad for having seven jars of mustard (spicy, brown, spicy brown, Dijon, spicy brown Dijon, yellow, whatever) in the pantry. Open mouth, insert foot.
3. Top Search. Every now and then it’s fun to see the search terms that bring people to this blog. Most often they make sense for posts I’ve written: Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, A Visit from the Good Squad review, union rat. But this week I noticed some odd ones I thought it would be funny to share. Someone typed these search terms and found me.
- do these earrings make me look fat
- a nice place to hang out
- lower east side back rub
- ugliest dresses in the history of ever
- fe fi fo
- too much news not enough wisdom (What are you trying to say?)
- مثلث النار, (My favorite. Can anyone translate?)