1. I came across this quote from British author Iris Murdoch: “One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.” An interesting way to look at life from a woman who was considered brilliant, if a bit eccentric. (One wonders if the numerous affairs she had were considered treats, but anyway…) Some might say that, as a whole, we “treat” ourselves too much as it is, resulting in a materialistic society, but I’d like to think that she meant actions or interactions that brighten your day. For me, each morning when I brush Reggie is a small treat. He enjoys it and that brings me joy, but it’s also meditative. The repetition of the brush is calming I can zone out a bit. Do you have any “continuous small treats” that are meaningful to you?
2. There are beautiful hibiscus plants in bloom in front of an apartment building just around the corner from me. I didn’t even realize they could thrive in this area of the country.
3. As if you needed more proof that I’m losing my marbles. This week we were having a birthday party for a co-worker. By party, I mean cupcakes in a conference room. The conversation turned to movies and one colleague mentioned that she spent an hour of Doctor Zhivago watching side B of the DVD before she realized that the disc was two-sided. It took her that long to realize why none of the storyline made sense.
I had an even better one, I said. I spent an hour watching a movie in black-and-white before I realized that my DVD settings were wrong. It wasn’t even a classic movie. It only came out a few years ago. “Which movie? someone asked. I drew a complete blank. I could see the actors, but their names escaped me also. I looked at one of my co-workers as I tapped my forehead, trying to will the title to come forward. “You know, it’s that movie about the guy who performs illusions to win the heart of a woman.” “You mean, The Illusionist?” Uh, yeah that’s the complicated title I was trying to think of.
4. Things never to say to your hairstylist:
A. When my cut grows out, my hair gets really unruly in the back.
B. I don’t know why these sections of my hair insist on sticking out, no matter what I do.
C. Hey, it seems like you’re cutting off a lot.
D. A hairstylist, a colorist and a manicurist walk into a bar…
I left with a hair don’t that looks like a cross between Will Ferrell and Grace Jones.
5. One of Reggie’s continuous small treats. This is what happens when you have a big nose and want to get every last morsel of yogurt.
Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy your small treat, whatever it is.